Everybody knows the health benefits a daily dose of fruits and vegetables brings to your diet, but rarely do customers pick up the oddly shaped or tough-shelled tropical fruits in the grocery store. If you want to add a little punch to your palate and diet plan, try these five tropical fruits that not only taste sweet and refreshing, but included essential nutrients to help keep you healthy and shed those pounds!
1. Coconut: Inside this hard-shelled tropical fruit is a white, milky center rich in antioxidants and nutrients with numerous health benefits. Not only does it contain essential vitamins, nutrients and minerals like magnesium, iron, phosphorus and potassium needed to keep a healthy balance in our bodies, it also contains high levels of protein.
Coconuts contain the good kind of protein that helps build muscles rather turn into fat. Drinking coconut milk or shaving the meat onto dishes can help you turn that fat into energy to build muscle and lose weight.
2. Pineapple: The tart Hawaiian yellow fruit not only helps promote joint health, it also contains a key enzyme that helps speed up weight loss. The natural anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain aids in digestion and prevents inflammation and swelling.
3. Pomegranate: The sweet little seeds found inside pomegranate bulbs have been gaining a lot of attention for being rich in antioxidants. The popular juices and flavors containing pomegranate helps lower bad cholesterol that helps keep your arteries free of plaque build-up. This tropical fruit is low in calories and a perfect addition to a diet plan that will also boost other health benefits.
4. Acai Berry: This super fruit typically found in South America is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants needed to keep a healthy lifestyle. It’s also gaining popularity for helping aid weight loss because of its high nutritional value. Eating acai berries with other nutritional foods can help suppress the appetite and can even help burn fats to lose extra weight.
5. Dragon Fruit: These alien-looking exotic fruits might look unappetizing, but they contain a sweet inside that’s rich in vitamin C and fiber that helps remove toxins and fats from the body. These tropical fruits also keep the body hydrated for an even extra boost to lose weight.
For more diet and weight loss tips to get in shape for the summer, view all our Weight Loss Monday features!